Saturday 1 October 2016

September Books 2016!



I took a bit of a break from reading before going back to uni, but I have read quite a lot since i have been back to uni. Also I have been reading a lot of literary theory. Sorry in advance!

Introduction to Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader - Nigel Wood and David Lodge
14th September - 15th September

I was told to read this before I started my literary theory module at uni. I have to say it was a good introduction and I am glad I read it. However, that doesn't mean that literary theory isn't melted my brain at the moment!



The Tales of Beedle the Bard - J.K. Rowling
17th September - 17th September

This was the complete opposite to the last text and required very little brain power which was quite nice to be honest. It was a selection of short stories by J.K. Rowling that are aimed at kids who have read the Harry Potter series. I quite enjoyed them despite that fact I am not a kid anymore.

The Critique of Judgement - Immanuel Kant
19th September - 20th September

This was another one that constantly made my head hurt reading it. I have never studied any Kant before and he is a really eloquent writer. However, I do sometimes find his subject matter quite hard to understand.

Culture and Anarchy - Matthew Arnold
19th September - 22nd September

I have to say that I found Arnold even harder to understand than Kant and that is saying something! It took me ages to get my head around. To be honest I am still not sure if I fully understand it. It is one of those texts that is hard to even understand what the basic points of it are.

Without You - Yesenia Vargas
18th September - 24th September

This one took me quite a while to get through because I had so much to read for uni. However, it is a really lovely story and it definitely grew on me as I got further into it. Also it is free on Kindle, which is always good.

The Metaphoric & Metonymic Poles - Roman Jakobson
26th September - 26th September

This is quite a short piece in the Lodge and Wood theory book discussing one of the elements that Jakobson discusses. I have to say I definitely understand the Russian Formalists a lot better than Kant and Arnold! However, it was definitely still extremely challenging!

Bullet in the Brain - Tobias Woolf
28th September - 28th September

This was a short story that I had to study for one of my modules on film adaptations. It was really short and not very descriptive. As a result it was really easy to understand and it was really good to be able to discuss in the seminar how it would have to be changed to adapt it for screen.

The Theory of the Formal Method - Boris Eichenbaum
29th September - 29th September

I think that I found Eichenbaum's description and critique of Jakobson a lot easier to understand. I don't quite know why I just think that he put it into simpler terms which was lovely.

Linguistics and Poetics - Roman Jakobson
30th September - 30th September

This was the bigger section of the Jakobson part of Lodge's and Wood's book. It was really interesting talking about the fundamental parts of linguistics. Also it was really good as he kept bringing in diagrams and examples to support what he is saying. However, it did get more complicated towards the end.

Thanks For Stopping By! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment