Saturday 5 November 2016

Visit to the Children's Archive!



This morning as part of a module I'm studying about children's literature, we went across to my uni library's children archive. We spent about two hours looking through a lot of Victorian and Edwardian children's books.  To be honest I think we spent a good amount of that laughing at how truly sexist some of them were.




I definitely want to go back there as I actually only really saw a small portion of it. The portion I was in mostly had a lot of fairytales. It was really interesting to read some of the fairytales I grew up with, as well as discovering some that I had not heard of before.





It was also interesting to read some of the tales from the Brothers Grimm. This was something I had partially studied in relation to Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber during second year of A-level. It was interesting to see how different they were to the fairytales that everyone thinks of. They are so dark!




It was also interesting to see the inscriptions at the start of different books. It was interesting to see that I lot of them had been given as prizes for good behaviour at school. One of them even had a crushed flower in.



All in all it was really interesting to go along and see a resource that I didn't know about before. It also helped to confirm to me that children's literature is definitely something that I want to talk about for my dissertation. The Children's Archive is also something that I definitely want to go back to in the future.

Thanks For Stopping By! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment