Saturday 20 August 2016

Going to University!

University is a very huge experience to go through and involves many ups and down. Next month I will begin second year and to be honest I'm still scared about what uni has in store. However I thought it would be good to share some advice to any people who are going to uni this year.

1. Don't worry. you will make friends!

As simple as this sounds, a lot of people worry about not having any friends when they go to uni, but honestly it's not that hard! I am the most antisocial person you will probably ever meet and even I managed it. So there's hope for anyone! I managed to meet all of my closest friends at uni within the first week. I have to say that Facebook is something that really helped as I was able to connect with people on my course before I even got to university. This was great so I could meet up with people before my first lectures and seminars, which really helped. Also it is the way that I was able to meet some amazing friends and I am so glad for that.

2. You will adjust academically

Talking from a personal point of view, I didn't really find the transition from A-levels to university that hard academically speaking. If anything I found it considerably easier than the transition from GCSE to A-level. However, I understand that not everybody finds it easy. If you have people around you who are supporting you through it then it will become more familiar. Don't worry if it doesn't feel right straight away.

3. The place that you now find yourself won't always seem so scary

I know that the city you will live in and the campus you will find yourself in will, at first, appear like a huge maze. However, trust me you will get used to it and eventually it will become second nature. My best piece of advice for you would be to leave plenty of time to get to where it is you have to you, especially in week 1. Also, don't be afraid to ask someone for help, as scary as that may seem.

4. You will definitely appreciate your parents more

From washing up to emptying the bins you will definitely appreciate how much your parents do for you. Also you will be so relieved when you go home.

5. Don't worry if it doesn't feel right at first

You won't feel at home from the word go and you need to give yourself time to adjust. However,  if after sometime you still don't feel quite right then don't be afraid to ask help or to tell somebody how you are feeling. If after a considerable amount of time you still feel similar then try to make steps in order reduce any issues you are having. For example, during first semester I hated living in student accommodation as I found it extremely isolating. Towards the end of semester one I was seriously considering dropping out of university. However, I chose to give commuting a try and I have to say I really enjoy it a lot more.

Thanks For Stopping By! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment