Sunday 15 November 2015

Viennese Whirls

Hi Guys!

So today I thought I would do a baking post for you. I first tried doing these last weekend and they turned out really well even though I didn't have the right flour. However it would be the one weekend I didn't take my camera home so I couldn't take any blog photos. Therefore I thought I would make them again this week using the correct flour. These look way harder than they actually are and will really impress people! Also it will help to improve your piping skills having to pipe both the biscuits and the icing, so get your piping bags at the ready!

This recipe is actually from the hairy bikers of all people and can be found here.


Ingredients

For the biscuits:



250g/9oz butter
50g/2oz icing sugar (and a bit to decorate if you fancy)
250g/9oz Plain Flour
50g/2oz cornflour (the first time I did this I didn't have cornflour and ran out plain flour half way through so did half plain flour and half self raising and they turned out pretty well)
½ tsp vanilla extract

For the icing:

100g/3½oz soft butter
200g/7oz icing sugar, plus ½ tsp for dusting
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
You can also use some jam in the middle, but personally I prefer them without.

Steps for Biscuits:

Step 1 

Preheat your oven to 190C/170C (fan)/Gas 5 and line 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.

Step 2



Put all of your ingredients for the biscuits into a food processor. I personally used by KitchenAid with the paddle attachment which seemed to work fine.



Step 3

Pipe your biscuits onto the greaseproof paper using a star nozzle. Don't worry if you are not very good at piping and quality control as they will look fine once they have baked.



Step 4

Bake for 13-15 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool down whilst you make the icing.



Step 5 

To make the icing, put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until light and smooth.



Step 6



Put your icing into a piping bag and pipe onto the biscuits using a star nozzle (I lost mine so used a round nozzle instead, but it seemed to work pretty well). Then place another biscuit on top. Sieve a small amount of icing sugar on top before serving.





Hope you enjoy making them as much as I did! I should have another baking blogpost coming along soon.

Thanks for stopping by! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment