Wednesday 17 September 2014

Shortbread Biscuits


Hi Guys!

These biscuits are a personal favourite of mine. It's really simple. Today it took me just over an hour and that includes baking time.

 They remind me of my childhood as I used to make them with my mum.

The most memorable time that I can remember making them was father day when I was 7 (gosh 2004!). I remember being really proud as I had managed to bake them almost on my own (with a bit of help with the oven from mum.) So they are great for baking with kids.

This recipe comes from an old woman’s weekly cookbook that my mum from her grandma when she was 16. It can be found here.




Ingredients
8 oz Butter
10 oz Plain flour
3 oz Caster sugar (be sure to use caster sugar as it makes for a more even bake)


The recipe says they make about 24, but I got 18.


Step 1

Preheat your oven to 190 Degrees Celsius/375 Degrees Fahrenheit/Gas Mark 5. (I did it in my fan oven at 170 Degrees Celsius).

Step 2

Sift the flour and sugar together until it look something like this.



Step 3

Add the butter cut into cubes and rub into the the flour until it is even and knead until all the ingredients are together.





Step 4

Cover with some cling film (or as i did cover it with a bowl) and place in the fridge for around 10 minutes. Then roll out the dough (the recipe says to a 1/4 inch thickness) on a lightly floured surface and use a cutter to cut out the biscuits. 

If you are finding they hard to pick up then split the mixture in half and increase the thickness of each biscuit making it easier to transfer.




Step 5

Transfer to baking trays and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Then transfer onto a wire rack to cool.





You can flavour differently:

  • Chocolate-substitute 1 oz cocoa powder for 1 oz for flour
  • Cinnamon-sift 1 tsp ground cinnamon with the flour


Please leave me any tips or suggestions in the comments below!

Thank you for stopping by! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment